Friday, February 5, 2016

From impulse, to staple piece

Even though I've improved a lot in making better wardrobe decisions, sometimes, I still make impulse purchases

Last year, I was having considerable success in downsizing my shoe count, when, I couldn't resist these shoes at Zara. 





When I bought them, it wasn't too much of an impulse - I rationalized the purchase. 
  • Kitten heel - Great! Easy to get around in and dressier than flats; 
  • Navy - even better, one of my chosen neutral colors; and 
  • Different - I didn't own anything similar to this. 

It was a perfect purchase! Until they sat in my closet for an entire year.

I was beginning to beat myself up over having made this purchase. Despite my initial rationale, I knew deep-down I didn't need them and I knew had falsely convinced myself that I did - I just loved them too much to put them back down. 

I wore them a few times but wasn't super impressed by them, and in my closet they sat, until very recently - I think due to my recent clothing and color choices, they seem to go with everything! I've worn them regularly this last month and they're slowly making their way to the ranks of a staple piece! 

I'm so relieved, but I know that not all my impulses will turn into happy endings. It's a good reminder to myself that I may have to walk away from an impulse-looking purchase for at least a day to make sure I don't fall into that trap again.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad that you have been able to turn these shoes into one of your closet staples. I am hoping to wear my simple, off white dress soon. I called it one of my closet "losers", but I need to give it a chance. It has not been worn since I purchased it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love that dress, I thought it was a really great blank canvas, especially with all your cool accessories and scarves. Maybe the HK necklace against it? and your cobalt pumps? Hope it works out!

      Delete