Friday, February 19, 2016

My first bag after a 1 year, 1 month, 18 day hiatus - the Lauren by Ralph Lauren Whitby satchel

As most of you know, I spent many years resisting the urge to buy bags and after many failed attempts, 2015 was MY YEAR. I didn't buy a single bag, and managed to rotate through more than 90% of my collection. SUCCESS. 

I went into 2016 attempting this same thing and the urge to buy wasn't strong, until I came upon this beauty - the Lauren Ralph Lauren Whitby satchel, in mandarin






The color just attracted me to it, like nothing had in a long time. The gold hardware was perfect since I'm currently hooked to gold details, something about the zipper against a higher backing was intriguing to me, and the tab closure lock at the end of it, was just icing on the cake. It just screamed 'take me home, you will love me'. It also has a detachable strap - and I love that the attachment is on the back of the bag like that, and not the alternate-opposite ends like most designers are doing now (I don't like that),and different from just the regular end-to-end. Truly, LOVE. 

Now, taking a year off from resisting bags has definitely helped me to reassess my previous buying habits - I used to buy bags on a whim, and at any price range as long as I could pay cash for it. In 2015, if I wanted a bag, I had to think about what I already owned and how what I already had could be a good substitute for current bag target, and I had to walk away. It was good practice and helped me reach my goal.

With that in mind, I should have never purchased this bag. I already have an orange bag, of similar size and purpose, and other similar bags with detachable straps. Really, this bag is in a similar category of purpose, style, and color, with several other bags.  

So why did I pull the trigger despite all logic telling me that I didn't need this bag? Because I truly love it, and sometimes you just have to treat yourself to the things you really love. Also, now that I'm more mindful about my purchases than I used to be, I already know that this is an item that I will be using a lot and have a good idea on how to work it into my wardrobe already. 

#sorrynotsorry

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful bag, Eggtart! You'll love this color, it's so much more versatile than one thinks at first sight! And it goes perfectly with your neutral wardrobe. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marylin! I can't stop looking at it. I have been using it since Friday, and plan to bring a larger tote to carry my other work items in, so I can continue to wear this. It was pouring today, but this bag handled it like a champ!

      Delete
  2. I really like your new bag, eggtart! It has a lot of nice details, like how the strap attaches on the back. I like this post also, because it reminds me that it's okay to treat yourself to something you love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mimmy. Yes, the strap attaching to the back of the bag was a detail that really pulled me in - a simple detail, but made a lot of difference to me. I'm still using her today =) I don't know if I'll be moving out of her any time soon haha. I haven't fallen for a bag this hard in a long time. Definitely was not expecting it.

      Delete