Tuesday, October 20, 2015

I'm adopting my husband's 'no sweatpants' rule

3 years into dating, I found out my husband had a 'fashion rule' - he doesn't wear sweatpants out of the house. I laughed out loud when he told me this. Why? Because this is the same man who thinks wearing foam sandals he bought at a convenient store in Hawaii, is acceptable to wear as normal sandals. You know, the type you wear at the beach, or buy in an emergency to wear when you end up going to a last second pool party. Yup. 

After I got over my shock, I thought back to the 3 years we had spent together and realized, WOW, he really didn't wear sweatpants outside the house. He said it was because as a child that's what he always wore and he just didn't think they should be worn outside. And that was that. 

I, on the other hand, LOVE wearing sweatpants. Why? Because I grew up wearing a school uniform and have to dress up for work. Recently, though, I began to re-evaluate my preferred weekend attire and think that my husband's rule has some merit. 

I started observing how we dress now, as a society, and back to how people dressed up in the past: to take a flight, to go grocery shopping, or to attend a play;  perhaps in our search for comfort, we have mistakenly replaced it with sloppiness. I've seen people wear yoga pants to work because they're black pants! Because they were "black pants" - ridiculous! 

To avoid any chances for myself to ever get to that point, I've traded in my sweatpants, for alternatives, like drape pants - I've never been so happy! I am comfortable and instead of risk mistakenly looking sloppy, I now look like I'm put together, by mistake! haha. 

6 comments:

  1. Great topic, eggtart. I actually bought a pair of nice sweatpants a couple years ago with the thought of making some cute, casual looks with them. Whenever I wore them out though, I felt like I was in my jammies. So now I reserve them for loungewear. I have been known to wear yoga wear after yoga to a casual brunch, but I always put some cute accessories with them. I don't wear them to work though; I don't consider them a substitute for "real" pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gone down that route too, but I had to throw in the towel - I'm not skilled enough in the outfit department to dress-up sweats. This is more of a personal issue haha. I've seen your cute yoga outfits and they look far from sloppy, they look great!

      Delete
  2. LOL, so true! If I could make Rick Owens' sweats look good, I wouldn't be adopting this rule, but sadly, I can't haha.

    I'll have to enjoy my sweats in the comfort of my own home =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't own sweats, because I had them as a kid too! Plus they get too warm.

    I figured, if I can (and have to) put sweatpants on, I can easily put on a pair of jeans.

    People have mistaken comfort for "sloppy" or "lazy." Leggings/yoga pants are not appropriate trousers to wear in a work environment. There are comfy dress pants out there!

    I wish people dressed up again for flights. Can you imagine? Haha. Not comfy yes, but we would all look pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely alternatives like drape pants! Lol. I'm so in love with the drape pant. Oh we'd look so amazing haha, but you're right, SO not comfortable. Enter my solution - the drape pant! LOL

      Delete