Tuesday, November 24, 2015

A want doesn't always have to mean a purchase

My love for fashion began with my love of bags. I've spent years trying to reel back my purchases and I have managed to go without buying a single bag in 2015, to-date. I am, however, currently debating a bag in my head - the Celine trapeze bag.

(picture not my own)

I'm NOT going to splurge on this bag because I have other financial obligations this year, but I can't get this bag out of my head. (Nope, I will never put my financial well-being in jeopardy for the love of fashion - no matter how tempting something might be).


That said though, even if I had a money tree, I would still be in this great debate, and here's why: I KNOW this bag is NOT for me. Having only a single TOP strap AND a flap closure is just asking me to get frustrated and never use the bag again. From a practical side, I know I will never spend that amount of money on it. For pure enjoyment reasons though, I still want it, thus, my thoughts on alternative options - (1) purchase it used, (2) find a less expensive version (and I don't, nor ever, mean a fake version) so that I don't have to worry if I don't use it, or (3) don't buy it, or any similar looking one at all, knowing I wouldn't use it that often. 


Buying it used is still expensive, and my objection to the purchase of a less expensive alternative is the compromise in quality. I found similar options at Zara, (and I really, really like them) but even at a very reasonable price point of $59.99, for what I consider a 'trend' bag in my wardrobe, I still couldn't overlook the quality - I've highlighted areas to show where there are already creases and scuffs. (Just because something is less expensive, doesn't mean I want to sacrifice any points on quality). 






 


That leaves me with the third option of not buying it, or any version of it, at all. It's the best decision I can currently make. I might come across one in the future where I can live with its price and quality, Celine, or not, but for now, I'll just have to try to forget about it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that's a shame I missed out on it. I just googled it to see and couldn't find them either =( perhaps not meant to be... but in looking at some of the previous Jcrew bags that did pop up, they seem to have similar takes on the designer versions that may be good to look into next time - reasonable price point and their quality seems to be pretty good.

    ReplyDelete