Tuesday, September 30, 2014

My guidelines to perfecting my closet

My goal to have a streamline and manageable closet, filled only with items that will look great on me and make me feel comfortable, and confident at all times, can be achieved if I follow some guidelines (of course, with everything, there are exceptions).
Guidelines: 
  • One-in, one-out rule - When I began this project, it was a one-in, two-out rule because I wanted the process to go faster. Now, having purged a lot of my closet, if I want to bring in something, I have to take out something.
  • Improve on quality - for certain staple or long-term items, such as jackets, I am looking to trade up in quality so that these are long-lasting items that I don’t have to buy again within a short period of time, and will still look good.
  • Stick with a color palette - I chose several colors as my ‘back-drop’ and sticking with them makes my life so much easier.
  • Research - If I want to bring in an unexpected item, I research outfit ideas for it and see what existing items it will work with, and also make sure it will flatter my body-type.
  • Track it! - each item I purchased in 2014 is logged into an excel spreadsheet where I can tally up how many times I’ve worn something so I can calculate cost-per wear, and whether it might be a future closet staple or just a fast trend.  
  • Don’t be afraid to try new things

No comments:

Post a Comment