Thursday, September 4, 2014

The first successful purge - colors

Tips out there for people who want to purge their closet usually consist of sorting your clothes into groups of 3- “toss, donate, keep”, “get rid of, repair, keep”, “love, like, so-so”, you get the idea. I attempted variations of this but felt too attached to some items, had too many ‘what if I need it’ moments, ‘this cost too much to get rid of and I didn’t wear it enough!’ moments, or dedicated myself to lose weight and fit back into them.
Frustrated by the slow progress, I decided to re-arrange my closet and grouped my colors together just to feel some productivity. After doing this, I saw what colors I had a lot of, and what I didn’t have many of.
I assessed the low-count colors and realized that (1) I just don’t like some colors very much, (2) some don’t look good on me; and (3) some are hard to match. (Coincidentally a group of 3. Hrm.)
I instantly got rid of the items in colors I didn’t like, and those that don’t look good on me - why keep them around? It wasn’t that many items but the fact that I was able to identify what wasn’t working and why, was a great step forward.
Colors that are hard to match - I spent more time on this category. Were they actually difficult to match? or was it just me? I took to Pinterest and searched for outfit ideas and only kept items that I could make outfits with, with what I currently owned. This was an eye-opener because it opened me up to new outfit ideas, and showed me that I wasn’t a lost cause - I do have an eye for fashion but I just needed some help.
By the end of that session I had removed items from my closet that wouldn’t have worked for me in any way. Success! Not only was my closet lighter, but I identified some solid ‘don’t buy’ principles.   
Colors that don’t work for me and my wardrobe:
  • Brown
  • Green tops
  • Orange tops
  • Yellow

No comments:

Post a Comment