Friday, July 17, 2015

Ever feel judged for your purchases?

As I mentioned before, I am part of a wonderful online community that celebrates fashion and loves to indulge in the fanciest of items. Not only that, the threads that I am part of are full of wonderful women who not only support each other's purchases and fashion choices, but also share in the ups and downs of life. Why does it seem like that is so hard to find in real life? 

Sometimes when I'm in the real world, or happen to stumble across a less than friendly thread, I go back to my group of 'close forum friends' and I thank them for being the wonderful people that they are. I find that it's hard to find that in real life. I LOVE fashion. I LOVE designer items. Some people may find these things superficial, but nonetheless, these are my hobbies. These aren't my only hobbies, but they're definitely on the top of the list. I get sad when I can't share any of this with my real life friends. I don't even say anything, but I can feel their eyes scrutinizing my clothes (and trust me, as most of you on here know, despite these hobbies, it's very hard for me to put together outfits that I love to be in) so it just makes me feel even more judged for my items. I have a friend who literally looks my bags up and down for a good 10 seconds and doesn't say a word. I can't share - they don't get excited, and if they do, it's feigned excitement. I have a few friends who do get excited but I worry about dragging on the conversation for too long because I can get very enthused and long-winded about some of my finds, beloved items, and my current wants. 

My co-worker N is one of the few people who I can talk fashion with, but I only see her momentarily at work (sometimes not at all, for weeks) =( She doesn't judge and provides honest opinions. She's my real life fashion buddy! xoxo to you, N!

I keep everything low-key and just go shopping by myself. It seems easier that way, but it does make me very sad. 

2 comments:

  1. My dear, I totally relate to everything you say! My theory is that it's easier to get positive comments by people who love the same things you love. That's why they join the same online communities or read your blog. Sharing the same interests is a strong bond. At work you also share the same interests, but they are work related, not fashion related - unless you work in the fashion industry. So it's less likely to get positive feedback on your outfit. Also, we usually don't present our clothes like we do in our online communities,where we consciously ask for feedback. Our colleagues might notice our outfits, or not,but they might not think it's appropriate to comment, or sometimes it's also envy that leaves them quiet. I guess that's why one of your coworkers is eying you up. You always look great, maybe she'd want that too and doesn't know how. I wouldn't worry as long as you have fun wearing your beautiful clothes and keep posting them and what you think about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Marylin. I understand what you're saying - I guess I just see how happy we are on our forums and I wish that in real life.. sometimes it gets lonely not to be able to share immediately, or go shopping with a gf.... dh is really great already, and actually asks me questions about my outfits or what I like to wear, but you know.. he is a guy haha.. and can only stand so much...i'm really really happy I made the decision to be an active member on tpf to 'meet' all of you. I was a lurker for so long.

      Delete