Friday, July 10, 2015

The sentimental box

Lately I've been reading a number of organizing articles and of course, hooked on youtube videos discussing the KonMari method. I don't recall where I heard this from, but someone had shared that they keep a box separately for sentimental wardrobe items. 

As many have suggested, keeping seasonal items completely separate and packed up when it's not the right season is a great way to keep focused on what you need instead of getting distracted by your gazillion winter scarves in the middle of summer, no matter how unlikely you will reach for them. It's just one more less thing to process and dismiss. 


Similarly, I had a few items in my wardrobe that I no longer wear but hold great sentimental value - my dad's vintage hoodies (still in amazing condition, and I was wearing them well into my young adult years), my university logo-ed sweatpants, or the shirt I was wearing when I first met my husband (the Batman Tshirt really caught his eye haha).  When they were mixed in with my regular wardrobe, I would sometimes think about wearing them and then debate over it (despite knowing I won't), thus wasting my time and brain power - now, they are tucked away in the top shelf of my closet in a cute box and it makes me smile to know they are there, but also keeps me from even thinking twice about them when putting together an outfit. Less is more. 



Make sure to keep the box small and manageable, or there really is no point. And here, is where I found the KonMari folding methods to be excellent to fit all the items. 

Do any of you have a sentimental box? What's in it? 

1 comment:

  1. I also have a sentimental box, although your actual box is a lot prettier. I have my university logo'd sweatshirt and some tees in it. I also have some hand sewn collars that are embroidered, that my Aunt made. They are really not something I would wear, but are too pretty to purge from my closet.

    ReplyDelete