Friday, July 24, 2015

I'm sorry we couldn't make it work

One of the most difficult things I find about perfecting my wardrobe is letting go of an item from one of my favourite brands, that I love and had high hopes for, but is just not working out. 

One such item is my mirror-finish Cole Haan peep-toe wedge sandals. 


I purchased these several years ago to wear as my summer go-to shoes - I envisioned wonderful outfits ranging from office appropriate, to 'fun in the sun', casual cool.  I tried the shoes on in the store, and they looked fantastic and felt comfortable - being an avid fan of Cole Haan shoes, I expected no less. I brought them home with me, giddy with excitement to wear them the next day. 

Within 10 minutes of its debut, I stepped on a part of the sidewalk that was slightly unfinished and gouged a chunk of the sole's finish out. I cried. I consoled myself by telling myself that it was on the inside and that it was going to be OK. 

As I continued on my not-so merry way, I noticed that there were very obvious crease marks where my toes bent - the mirror-finish is stiffer than most finishes so the creases look very deep and just horrible. I was further crushed and very disappointed. 


At the end of the day, I put them back in their box and held on to them. Over the next several years, I took them out on a few occasions (those that required very little walking) - each time, they suffered greater and greater damage. More gouges, scratches, and creases - it got to a point where I was tip-toeing in them in hopes they wouldn't touch the ground.

This year, I said to myself: "to hell with it, I'm going to wear these babies to the ground!" Sadly, it seems they beat me to it - with each step, they got squeakier and squeakier, and the soles keep getting louder and louder against the pavement. They've made me loathe them. 

I'm sorry, but we have to part ways, and it pains me - I tried to love you but you're not making it easy for me. I would have loved to share many memories with you. I hope you find a new owner that can make it work. Good bye =(

Don't buy mirror-finish shoes, they will break your heart.

2 comments:

  1. This post was so fun to read, eggtart! Probably not as fun to recount though. I don't own any mirrored finish shoes, and thanks to your warning, will steer clear of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course the punch-in-the-gut is that since I've placed them in the donate pile, my husband tells me that he really likes those shoes, and magazine trends are telling me that they're 'in'... .grrrr, why, fashion gods, whyyyy??

      Delete