Tuesday, December 8, 2015

2014 - a catalyst to stopping my frequent bag buying habit

For many, many years I tried to get my bag and wallet purchases under control - I made yearly resolutions and tried to limit the number of bags I purchase per year, but nothing worked.

In 2014, I was thisclose to having a no-purchase year of bags and wallets but caved mid-year and purchased 11 bags!

I was really disappointed with myself but turns out, these 11 bags filled important gaps in my bag collection. 

When I used to purchase bags, I went on simply what I liked and bought it. I didn't think about the function they played in my life, or their practicality. I love all my bags, but the 11 I bought last year, without knowing it, were useful to my daily life. 

Just a reminder, my bag purchases are not included in my budget for my wardrobe.

Why were these bags so important/special? 

Banana Republic clutch and crossbody, used 5 and 2 times respetively

Cole Haan large tote in pebbled leather, used 34 times

Cole Haan satchel in pebbled leather, used 44 times

Cole Haan tote, used 26 times 
Dooney & Bourke satchel and crossbody (another crossbody in 
violet not shown), used 15, 5, 7 times respectively

Dooney & Bourke satchel (nylon version not shown), 
used 25 times, and 43 times respectively

Dooney & Bourke satchel, used 16 times

When I tracked my bag usage, despite only owning them for 1.5 years, these bags were the ones I used the most since I got them. I use them on a regular basis because they are easy to use and their quality is fantastic. I don't have to worry about ruining them, or getting any scratches on them as they are super durable. The calf-hair bags have been my go-to for special events since they go with everything and with the price I paid for them, even if I were to use them recklessly wouldn't be too sad. 

The reason why I didn't use my other bags so much is because they were too expensive and I just cared too much about them. I care about these bags too but the price I paid, wouldn't cause me to cry. In total, I spent approximately $1,059, averaging less than $100 per bag! Since these 11 purchases, I have been able to spend 2015 purchase-free of bags! 

No comments:

Post a Comment