Friday, December 4, 2015

December, the month of reflection

I've been waiting for December 2015 to come along with great excitement! I have been diligently tracking my shopping purchases and trying to work within my wardrobe goals for 2 years, and can finally do a comparison between 2014 and 2015, and with 2 full years under my belt, feel I can finally get a better understanding of my budget and habits. 

Since I only started blogging towards the end of 2014, I'm going to go over 2014 in detail, and work my way up from there until the end of this year.

What I didn't do in 2014 was include my shoe purchases in my grand total of money spent, but I did keep track of them in a separate excel sheet specifically for shoes, so I was still able to determine what I spent on clothing that year. Unfortunately, I was't able to track the cost per wear for those shoes since I don't go into as much detail in their separate excel sheet as I do for my yearly budget sheet. (In 2015, I did include shoes into my full year's tracking.) 

My goal to purge and purchase better items had already begun in 2014 but I was mostly focused on purging rather than finding 'perfect pieces'. My purchases were less thought out in the 'wardrobe staple' department and more about filling in areas that needed replacing, or just things that I liked. The only well thought out pieces were my investment pieces.

In 2014, I didn't give myself a budget, but I also didn't go crazy - I would like to think I'm a pretty responsible shopper to being with, so not having a budget didn't affect me too much. In total, I spent $1028.78, for non-investment purchases, and $1,570 on 4 investment pieces (2 Burberry jackets/coats, and 2 Seiko watches), for a total of  $2,598.78. 

** For 2015, I made a conscious decision not to include any investment pieces into my regular wardrobe budget since they are intended to be long-lasting and very, very well thought out and calculated pieces. **

Spending $1,029 bought me a total of 33 items, including 4 pairs of shoes (including my ever so difficult to fit, knee-high boots), a winter coat that turned out to be one of my best purchases to-date (and an unexpected, very well-priced, investment piece), 3 items of gym wear, and an awesome black sheath dress. I also discovered that GAP boyfriend button-ups fit me very well and that I love their broken-in khakis, having bought 4 pairs. 

From those purchases, I have since donated 2 tops because I didn't like them any more, ended up wearing out my black sheath dress and a tunic, and ruined one of my favourite coloured khakis from a bleach accident (I've only recently bleached the entire pair of pants in an attempt to salvage them).

Since 2014, my cost per wear for each items has ended in single digits, with 6 items well under my $1 cost per wear threshold and approximately 10 items nearing that mark. The only item still in the double digits is my red Burberry quilted trench coat, but that was expected, and since I intend to have that for many, many years, am not too bothered by it.

Over all, my 2014 purchases helped me to: 
  • find a great alternative to jeans by introducing me to khakis
  • find a well-fitted button-up style
  • finally find a pair of knee-high boots that fit me
  • focus in on specific colors that are now my color palette of choice - gray, white/ivory, navy/blues, and black
  • find an awesome cobalt wool coat that I absolutely love
  • determine what kind of investment pieces I'm looking for and what areas of my wardrobe I'm willing to spend that kind of money on (coats, yes, definitely will lean towards paying investment prices; the watches were a one-time purchase and while they aren't in the price caliber as a Rolex, they meet my criteria of going with everything, are of solid quality, and are not pieces I intend to buy again until they break).

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this detailed post, eggtart, and look forward to your continued posting on this subject. I have only kept a detailed account of my spending starting with this year, but it has been a real eye opener. I did not really have a specific budget number in mind, but what I spent this year was not too unreasonable. With what I am learning about what looks good on me, and from the Stylebook app and fashionable and budget minded people like you; I am really feeling good about my closet. I think before when I looked in my closet I would feel more than a pang of guilt at the sheer number of items, and unworn items. I think I will be able to spend less in 2016 and hopefully continue to refine my wardrobe even more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mimmy! I'd say 2014 was more of a purge year and trying to learn more about buying for my size lifestyle. 2015 was definitely more about refining and finding a color palette. Moving into 2016, I think I can focus more on purging and fulfill some 'no-buy'categories and goals. I'm probably going to stick to the same budget I had until I'm able stay within it.

    ReplyDelete