Friday, February 13, 2015

Removing 100 items from my home

Last month I read an article that one of my friends posted about purging 100 items from their household - 


They recommended that you just go around the house with a garbage bag and without thinking, just plop in the stuff you no longer use or has a use. 

My husband is currently away so I took it as the perfect opportunity to go through things and get rid of them. I purge best when I have the house to myself. I took it a step further and set up my computer for any of the random items that needed to be logged - i.e. signing up for things, so I can throw away the bits of paper that reference codes were on; I had an empty garbage bag ready for any thing that belonged in the trash; and set aside an area for items that can be donated. 

In one evening I found glassware and candle holders I could let go of, unused items that could be donated, mail that was old and could be thrown away, empty boxes that can be recycled - it was so easy and felt so freeing! I also took out anything that was hiding and forgotten so that they can be visible and used, and not wasted by just sitting there .

When I first purged to begin my minimalist lifestyle, I would get rid of 10 items a day - ranging from donating something to disposing of a post-it. It really is the simple things that can get me on a roll to keep going and even today I try to get rid of things on a daily basis (mostly papers that can unknowingly pile up), and once I make a major donation of items, I immediately start another bag to fill up.

If anyone is wanting to declutter but finding it difficult, I'd start off with the 100 item purge of anything you can think of, and then try to let go of 10 items a day for a while. You'd be really surprised by how amazing just throwing away a piece of paper feels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment