Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Grouping that odd man out

Do you own an item that looks great but somehow seems difficult to wear? I have a cardigan that looks great but the color isn't something that I personally find easy to match. I think it's taupe? or perhaps olive? I'm not even entirely sure ... (note to self: learn colors). 

None the less, the other day I was heading out the door when I decided to grab a cardigan for the sudden drop in temperature. Without thinking, I grabbed the closest thing to me - this: 

(Rosie Neira)

Looks great right? I love the detailing, it's non-scratchy comfort, its length - just love it, and since I adopted a neutral color palette, figured it would be fine. Then I finally got a look in the mirror and I don' t know if it was the color, the great detailing, it's length, but for whatever the reason, it did not look fine with my dress, which was this:

(Rosie Neira, Banana Republic)

Even though I have a much better idea of my style, and have recently chosen a color capsule, minimizing the daily struggle of getting dressed, there are still items in my closet that don't really have a place to go. I love them and do wear them but they usually look like an after-thought. I started envisioning my closet and realized that this color would actually look pretty great against purple; especially, against a certain purple dress I own - this:


 (Rosie Neira, Banana Republic)

Note: I know I said I'm poor at colors, but I swear, this dress is a rich purple and I have no idea why it's photographing blue (I even double checked with my husband, who agrees with me). 

Currently, my closet is organized by like-colors, but to make better outfits, I have decided to hang my 'odd man', hard-to-coordinate pieces with the item it would go best with. That way, if it comes down to the wire and I still can't figure out a nice outfit, I will always have a go-to option.  

2 comments:

  1. I really like your sweater, eggtart! I think it will look great with your purple dress. I have a similar "odd man out" item. It's a denim jacket with some very subtle navy beading on the collar and cuffs. I have not worn it for awhile and was even considering donating it. After seeing and reading your post; I think I was actually trying to pair it with things that worked against it. I plan to try wearing it with some plain black pants or pencil skirt, and a black or white tee. I think this will allow my "odd man out" item to speak for itself! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mimmy! After reading your response, I realized you're right, the first outfit, the dress was just working against it but the purple was more subtle in cut and color. AND, I am actually wearing the cardigan today and am using it as the 'showcase' piece - I am taking a cue from you and paired it with black pants, and an off-white top haha. Looks a lot better, so thank you!

      Delete