Friday, April 10, 2015

Make a list of things you don't need

For as many years as I can remember, I have always tried to buy less and last year, while still a work in progress, was definitely my most successful year thus far. I kept my purchases to a minimum (relative to other years =P) and every purchase became a wardrobe staple. 

It really helped to take inventory of what I owned and this year, while I usually make 'want and buy' lists, I instead made a list of things I didn't need to buy. That has really helped me to think twice before I make a purchase and since I'm also trying to own less, I decided on the amount of each item I would like to own. For example, I would like to own 10 coats and jackets, 5 pairs of jeans, 20 pairs of shoes, etc. 

This is my list of "I don't need to buy" (and the ideal amount I'd like to own)
  • nail polish (5)
  • coats/jackets (10)
  • shoes (20) (this one is a hard one to get control of)
  • perfume (2)
  • rain boots
  • hoodies (2)
  • wallets
  • sneakers (3)
  • lip balm
  • eye shadow
  • blazers
  • dress pants
  • khakis
  • scarves
  • jeans (5)
  • bags
I keep myself in check by looking at my list frequently and it's really satisfying to see the gaps get smaller between what I have and what I would like to own. 

4 comments:

  1. A "Do Not Buy" list is brilliant, eggtart! I just made my own. I thought I was sticking fairly well to my "Buy" list, but it still seemed like I was making more purchases than I needed to. I am also following the "1 in, at least 1 out" rule, but since I have also done a fair amount of purging; I think this is what was giving me permission to buy. So using your list as a guide, I made my own. Some of my "Do Not Buy" items are the same; shoes are a big one! I also have tops, shorts, key rings/bag charms and HK stuff on my list. No more HK stuff may seem blasphemous, but I really have enough for now! I have gotten my closet items down to about 260 from 340; this probably still sounds like a lot, but I am happy with it. I think if I could get to around 200, this would be reasonable for me. Thanks again, for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This topic really resonated with me, eggtart! I just added 2 more things to my "Don't Buy" list; belts and jewelry. ;) I have a nice collection of costume and fine jewelry, and I have been working on wearing these more; but I definitely don't need more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Mimmy, I think getting your closet down to 260 is amazing! Even starting at 340 would be amazing; I currently am in the 400+ range (although bags and shoes make up a quarter of that =S). I'd love to be as successful as you have been!

      Delete
  3. Thanks eggtart! I definitely was in the 400 range prior to a major purge in the Spring of 2014. Just realizing I had too many items was a good place to start. Your blog is really helping to keep me motivated as well. I am sure that your awareness of the ideal number of each item you would like to have, and your "Do Not Buy" list will help you reach your goals. Thanks again for the great ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete