Friday, August 21, 2015

Time to replace: my every day flats

Every year or so I purchase a pair of flats that are my go-to shoes - I wear them every day to commute to and from work, turn to them when I cannot think of any other shoes to wear, and wear them through all 4 seasons. They get worn about 85% of the year. Depending on the quality of them, they usually last me a good 1-2 years before they start to wear down to the point where the heel and sole split apart; because I like them to last as long as they can, I don't mind spending a little more on them, and I normally buy them in black, or a subtle metallic finish. 


The last pair I purchased was in April 2014 and they were Cole Haan silver wedges with Nike cushion technology. These are great as they are a darker silver and gave me a little height with the wedge, but still giving me a lot of comfort. They began to show wear in the sole a couple of months ago, and I've been getting away with them even though there are scuff marks because of the color, so I have been on the look out for a new pair of flats. 


Cole Haan silver wedges
I didn't expect to find something so soon, but on Monday, I happened to stumble across a pair of black Marc by Marc Jacobs Balle logodisc flats - not only are they super comfy (my first pair of MbMj shoes), but they are a neutral color, have an almond toe, and I bought them for less than $62. YES, THAT'S RIGHT. 


Marc by Marc Jacobs Balle logodisc flats
They originally retail for $220. I came across these by complete chance - I finished a meeting early and decided to check out the local Hudson's Bay since they are having one of their sales; sale items were an additional 25% off. These shoe were not placed in the sale/clearance section but they were on sale for $110. I had 2 questions for the sales associate - (1) did they have these in a 6.5 since these are 6 (they fit, but I wanted to compare the two because I'm normally a 6.5, smallest) and (2) is there an additional 25% off. The SA I asked thought there was an additional 50% off while the SA standing next to her told her to double check the additional discount as they are MbMj shoes; the first SA went to the back to check for sizes and came out and told me that these are the only pair they had since it was a return from another store, and that she would still honour the additional 50% off. I wasn't sure how she decided that it was an extra 50% off, but I think it was the fastest I ever paid for anything!

Now, since I've found replacements for my every day flats, I can exercise the one-in one-out rule and let the Cole Haan wedges go. 

7 comments:

  1. Alpha shopping predator! I love them, such a great buy. You're on a shoe buying hot streak - I know I said I would try not to enable, but if you find great black ankle boots...???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! This year has been insane for finding good shoe deals. I haven't even debuted my Keds x Kate Spade sneakers that I found for less than $26!!! I can't stop thinking about the ankle boots...cut-outs, buckles, argh, whhhhy???

      Delete
    2. Keds x Kate Spade?!?!?! How did I not know this was a thing?! I just Google imaged the collab and I'm in love. I can't wait to see which ones you got! One pair I saw was kind of almond toed - I wore out my Vans lo pros about six months back and I think these are now officially on my list to replace them.

      Delete
    3. Which ones are you looking at?? I had no idea that they even had so many styles and designs until I bought mine and Googled them. Aren't they amazing? So fun! Did you see the black mesh ones? I bought the purple leopard one with the pointed toe. Trying to put together a good outfit for their debut.

      Delete
    4. I was looking at the "pointer" style, and I think that's what you got. There are SO many fun options! I looked up the mesh ones, those things are sick. Right now I want like 5 pairs, ha, I will have to be more thoughtful about this. I'll be interested to see how you wear the leopard ones - right now I'm drawn to the red leopard and a citrus printed pair which wouldn't go with anything I own sadly. I like the solid colors but I think they look best when the color of the laces match. Hopefully I can find them in person somewhere around here, I think that's the only way I'll be able to judge.

      Delete
  2. Great shoes, eggtart! I also got some intel from this post; we wear the same shoe size. I am usually a 6.5, but find a 6 usually fits better in MbMJ. Imagine the possibilities...if we lived closer to one another we could potentially have probably about 100 pairs of shoes at our disposal!! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that makes me feel SO much better knowing that you also take a 6 in MbMj because I was worried that the great price was overwhelming my ability to realize that they might be too small lol

      Omg, 100 pairs of shoes, how amazing would that be??!! I would love to share shoes with you~ lol

      Delete