Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Lifestyle changes I'm striving for

In school we used to be asked to write down some yearly resolutions and that idea just stuck with me for much of my adult life. Unfortunately, I never achieved any of them =( Last year, I really wanted to work on making solid and steady changes in my life that I could maintain so I focused on my lifestyle changes, rather than resolutions. 

I started an excel spreadsheet of all the things I wanted to do and it expanded into other lists like 'things I don't need', or 'things I want to only have X amount of', etc. and by writing each and every little thing (some were as little as owning 3 perfumes at any given time), it really helped me to focus on my goals.

I won't bore you with all the little details, but some major ones are:

  • to travel more - I have a list of places and will have begun to find ways to fly for free, cut down on travel expenses, and also start a travel fund
  • feeling beautiful every day - and I just mean feeling beautiful to myself so that I can focus more on the goals I want to achieve that day than be distracted by how I look; this aligns with perfecting my wardrobe
  • taking better care of my skin - I've lived all my life with eczema and had a terrible our break a few years ago that just killed my self esteem; I have already begun to discard or use up products that may not be the best for me and replaced them with fragrant free items, or skin friendly products. This also means drinking a lot of water and avoiding or decreasing some foods that may not be good for me
  • eating healthier - I have stopped saying I want to lose weight, because I know that the healthier I eat, the weight loss will follow, and I want to get into a better habit of eating smaller portions and putting more nutrients in me. I have begun to juice so that I can get more veggies and frutis in me that I otherwise would not.
  • feel physically strong - this is a big one because I don't think skinny is what I want. I want to be fit, which I think is a big difference. Last year I began boxing again and loving it and can feel some changes already. 
  • try to spread more joy to people each day - I sent out Christmas cards this last holiday and that may seen standard to some people, it's a new thing for me. I'm starting small =)
Each time I achieve something, or began something that would help me achieve this change, I update it in my excel sheet for motivation. It helps me a lot and I can't wait to see when more things begin to have an accomplished date next to them. 

There are many more but I think these may be ones that a lot of people share so it would be great to get your support and make sure I'm staying focused =) I'd love to hear some of your changes and how your working towards them!

Side note: I dropped off my bag of donations on the weekend, with the help of my cousin, re-fashioned a t-shirt into a tote bag, and decided to give my Gucci money clip to my best guy bff (I bought it back in my univ days for clubbing and only used it a few times).

3 comments:

  1. This topic really resonated with me eggtart, especially "try to spread more joy to people each day"! If someone did not know me well, they might think I was mainly focused on clothes and accessory shopping; I actually care about making the world a better place too! I think small gestures can really make a difference, like you sending out Christmas cards. The bag of stuff you donated and giving your money clip to your friend were also ways of spreading joy and ultimately making the world a better place. I practice little random acts of kindness and have stepped up my charitable donations. Lately, this just feels right for me, and it makes me feel good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The small gestures and random acts of kindness are what I'm more striving towards - even holding the door for someone, or smiling at someone can really make a difference... I work in a cut-throat industry and feel so consumed sometimes by having to fight back and defend, or getting the first bite, that it gets really tiring. I'm also not naturally like that - I'd much rather have a win-win situation than a winner take all attitude. I just generally want people to be happy and if it's small things that are already in me to do, I should try =)

      Delete
  2. So true, eggtart! I am usually a positive person, but lately I was feeling that maybe this was not serving me well. Then I realized, nah, just because others are jerks sometimes, I should not be a jerk too! Let's continue to try to be positive and continue to make small gestures and practice random acts of kindness!!

    ReplyDelete