Friday, March 6, 2015

Stress shopping

The last few months have been quite stressful and I have been feeling overwhelmed with anxiety and worry. I won't get into it, but I will get into 'stress shopping' - I found myself doing that a lot. In addition to the 4 pairs of shoes I purchased, I completely forgot to add the 2 pairs of pants, skirt, and dress that I bought, to my February count. Oops. Seriously, I just forgot until this morning. 

I noticed that when I'm in a good state of mind, the idea of shopping does not even occur to me. I'm pre-occupied with being productive and motivated that shopping is the last thing on my mind. When I'm upset, I have realized that I start to feel an urge to purchase things, and if I'm not careful, it can spiral out of control. Knowing this, I do stick to more affordable pieces and places during this time and I always keep the tags on and ride it out. Once I feel better, I re-evaluate what I purchased and make returns if necessary. (although right now I have a very big urge to go nuts at Louis Vuitton - but I won't, I know better than that).

Right now, the silver lining is, since I know my style a lot better than I did, I've made some good purchases even during this time. I know, not an excuse to buy, or keep, but at least it's not a total loss. All the items I've so far purchased, I have worn and love. The pants I bought, love love love - again, from the GAP (I'm really in love with the GAP right now) - I bought their Always Skinny corduroys in black and a pair of their boyfriend jeans. No hemming required for either! Hurray! I've worn them so many times since I got them that their cost per wear is almost down to nothing (it helps that they weren't even $15 each - see, how could I pass them up??). I made two purchases at H&M for date nights when my husband returns and since he loves them, I will be keeping them; I don't have any 'date night' clothing, so these are nice additions to my wardrobe and I can always use them for other occasions, with the right accessories. 

Although I stressed shop, I picked up some great pieces and I DO NOT intend to bring this habit into March. March, I vow, will be a purchase-free month!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment