Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Tie waists, wrap dresses, shirt dresses - no tying for me!


Part of refining my wardrobe is knowing what doesn't work for me. When I was younger I would just buy what I liked but didn't understand or grasp what it meant for something to fit well, or why some pieces might look good on one person, and not on another. 

Shirt dresses, or other pieces that involve a tie at the waist or wrap around, do not work on me. They don't work because I have a shorter than average mid-section and the tie part doesn't land at my waist - it hits me between my waist and hip and then rides up as I move, resulting in fabric collecting up at my back. Also, if it sits at my waist, the upper part gets too big and lifts up a bit.

Exceptions are pieces with a built in elastic waist and are meant to fit looser, or fall at my hip - I usually remove the tie and cut off the little loops. 

2 comments:

  1. I empathize with you on this one. I have tried to make dresses like this work, and they ultimately end up annoying me and being given away! I now know not to buy this style of dress anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same reason why the ties on my trench coats always stay in my pockets =(

      Delete